The Charter Township of Bedford is seeking applicants to fill a position as Code and Blight Enforcement Officer. The job description follows:
Code Compliance and Blight Enforcement Officer
Position to support the Township Building and Zoning Department in assuring compliance with Township ordinances both for blight and International Property Maintenance Code.
- Handle complaints received by the Township regarding blight and property maintenance code compliance.
- Involves driving to the complaint address, making direct contact when possible, taking pictures and generating letters to request compliance.
- May involve multiple contacts with property owners via letter and/or direct contact.
- May involve formal citations and court appearances to obtain compliance.
- Must be able to handle multiple cases at one time.
- Requires a monthly report to the Board of Trustees regarding activity and results.
Position will involve approximately 5 to 10 hours per week and multiple cases at one time. Previous work load has involved approximately 100 cases per year. Anything from mowing lawns, removing trash/junk, general cleanup, and failure to comply with published/established ordinances.
Position is largely seasonal as the weather in the winter will dictate the volume of complaints, if any. Position must be flexible.
The position will be under the supervision of the Board of Trustees of the Charter Township of Bedford.
Requirements include previous experience in blight and code enforcement, any relevant coursework, and ability to communicate effectively. Previous experience in blight and code enforcement will be given extra weight. Applicant must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. This is an hourly position and wages will be negotiated based on experience. Applications are available in the Township Office, 115 S. Uldriks Drive, Battle Creek, MI 49037 or online at bedfordchartertownship.com.
Applicants should submit their application, along with a cover letter, and list of three references to:
Charter Township of Bedford
Blight Enforcement Position
115 S. Uldriks Drive
Battle Creek, MI 49037
Position will remain open until filled.